Friday, October 17, 2008

ridin' 'long the City of New Olreans...

I didn't realize how crazy the train schedules are until I "missed" the first train.

So, armed with my oddly cryptic Amtrack schedule book I made it early the next afternoon to a pleasantly full station of folks in New Orleans. I went in to the waiting area with a friend, who soon ducked out of the building to take a call, leaving shy little me to do my muling.

In an attempt to feel somewhat "normal", I approached the counter and talked with the attendant about the project, giving her the first tract. She was pleasantly surprised, thanking me for brightening her day with the colorful little book (my own design- "The Neon Crisis"). After that...with my confidence up....and my "teacher mode" switched on...I made my way towards the rows of waiting passengers (there were about 18 people there). Most of the folks on the side near the counter had been eyeing my exchange with the counter attendant...

I fanned out the tracks in my hands, offering the passengers to "take their pick" and participate in a nation-wide art project. The first man (an elderly fellow) wasn't sure what to do with me, or my offerings...and refused because it was his daughter that was getting ready to board, not him. So, I made my way to the next eager looking, guitar-carrying red-head, who told me that he was "on his way to see his ex-wife and would love to get his mind off of the anxiety he was feeling about it".

The next couple of tracts were taken pretty much without question...I offered each person their choice of tract and a breif explanation of the project. I was met with lots of smiles and noticed people quickly diving into their selection as I made my way through.

So....one of my personal favorites was the roach model...which turned out to be the last one left in my hands when I made my way to the "last party"....a gaggle of middle-aged women,all with big bleached-blond hair, mom-jeans, painted visors, and tourist t-shirts...loaded down with bags and bags of store-bought something-or-anothers. I walked into their little fortress of plunder as they were excitedly showing off their purchases and talking about getting back to Texas. I offered them my same smile and excited description of the art project...before presenting them with the final tract. They seemed pleased with the project idea...so I handed the pretty pink book to the nearest representative...who SCREAMED and threw the book on the floor!! (Which lifted me to a crazy degree of giddiness) I assured them that the roach was not real, and that it was part of the art...so the next lady in the pack reached down, picked up the book, glanced at it, shoved it in her shopping bag and said a quick thank you... complete with a fake smile.


I loooooved this project and I really loved muling the tracts!
Can't wait to hear about everyone's adventures!

3 comments:

Amie in Utah said...

I can't believe she screamed! And threw it on the floor! Wow. I can't help but think that might be a complement...

Unknown said...

Hello Andrea.

You approached me right before those ladies who kept the last tract. I guess I was an easy target as I was already writing something the moment you approached me. I had a choice between the roach tract and the one with a piece of fabric and a button. Both looked too fragile for my 19 hour ride to Chicago and in the end I chose the one with the button.

I didn't understand perfectly what it was all about, I guess it had something to do with both being shy and you being pretty but I'm glad I had a tract with me because I barely slept in that cold train and the story had some substance.

I hope my tract wasn't lost in the mail.

Joao Feiteira
Portugal

Amie in Utah said...

Joao: it came back-- I've got it. I loved reading about your journey-- and I'm so inspired that you were on a quest when Andrea handed you the tract.

-Amie