Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Toy Cockroach


When I was handing out tracts sometimes I'd kind of try and intuit which story the person I was talking to might like, then I'd choose a tract for them, others I would present a little spread of tracts, and let them choose based on the design and title. No one would pick the cockroach tract.

I designed that one, so I didn't want to, like, push anyone or guilt them into it.

I didn't think, as I was making it, about being under the buzzing thousand-island colored soda lamps at midnight on a dark train platform, trying to get someone to accept a very real-looking plastic cockroach under a thin layer of silk organza.

It made sense, with Chantal O'Keeffe's story. She writes about the nature of roaches: "– they like good food, like her chocolate chip cake, and they like comfort, like her 300+ thread count sheets. She learned the last part when she pulled back her comforter and found not one, but two roaches in the dent of her pillow."

None of the cockroach tracts have come back yet.

1 comment:

KW said...

How did I miss this first time around?! Love this post. I would probably turn it down too. As I've lived with cockroaches too many times before, I'd likely unconsciously turn the tract down without even noticing (although you've managed to make it look delicate and lovely!).